What Paperwork Do I Need to Sell a Car?

Puente Hills Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - What Paperwork Do I Need to Sell a Car?

Puente Hills Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram – What Paperwork Do I Need to Sell a Car?

In business, the contract is sacred. It’s how two parties establish a record of their agreements and then deliver proof of those agreements for later use in life. Before bringing your vehicle to Puente Hills Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for a possible sale, please keep the paperwork to sell a car in City of Industry in mind.

The Car Title is the King of Paperwork

Your car title is a document so important that you should keep it in your vehicle. If ever pulled over, a law enforcement officer will likely ask you for this paper, too. It’s the slip of paper that shows you legally own your vehicle. It also has important descriptive information about your car, such as the year it was made in, the model it is, and the VIN it carries. In almost every car sale in City of Industry California, you’ll need to show your car title. There are instances where selling your vehicle privately where it would be illegal to sale without a car title. Some titles aren’t “clean” and have a lien on them. This means there’s still money owed on the vehicle, and the person you’re selling it to needs to know this information. Dealerships are better able to handle car titles with a lien on them because they know the legalities of paying a lender and getting the formal title afterwards.

You’ll Get a Bill of Sale

The next most important thing in relation to what paperwork do I need to sell a car is the vehicle’s Bill of Sale. If your buyer requires a bill of sale then you’ll need to have it ready when you arrive. This document doesn’t aid in the transfer of the model you’re selling, but buyers still need it in some instances. It sets the standard for the sale and shows proof that a sale took place. From the moment you hand over the Bill of Sale, there’s no reason to worry about further liability. The vehicle is out of your hands.

Proof of Sale

The next paperwork to sell a car in City of Industry is something called a Proof of Sale. This important paperwork shows that you sold your vehicle and the terms of the sale. It’s a notification to important government agencies that you sold your vehicle, and it’s no longer in your possession. The DMV sometimes requires you to legally report a car sale. If you’re in a state like California, you’ve got to do things like a Release of Liability and Notice of Transfer within five days of your sale. These forms are important legalities in our state.

Coping with Paperwork to Sell a Car in City of Industry

When people ask what paperwork do I need to sell a car, Puente Hills Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram is there to answer the questions. If you choose to sell your vehicle to our dealership, we’ll sit down with you from the beginning and be transparent about what paperwork we need on your end. Your car title is your main responsibility, and we’ll handle most of the other paperwork that comes through the sale.

Private sales can be a mess of paperwork for the seller. That’s why in a buyer’s market, it’s sometimes easier to just skip the paperwork and let a dealership take care of most of it. Even if you have to amass your paperwork, the dealership can at least confidently let you know what kind of paperwork you need to bring in. If you’re doing a private sale, sometimes you don’t even know where to start on gathering the paperwork. If you skip one piece of paperwork, you could end up in court wrestling with a private buyer over some missing legality or step in the process.

Learn More from Puente Hills CDJR

Please contact us if you’re still confused about the paperwork you’ve read about here today. It’s easy to get lost in the stress of the moment when you’re trying to make a successful vehicle sale. Our finance and sales experts are always available to take your questions and give you transparent and helpful answers to your inquiries. Also serving Cerritos, Downey, and Alhambra California.

Request more information